One day an Arctic Roll met a Swiss Roll… the result is swirly chocolate spongy, raspberry ice-creamy yumminess!
YOU WILL NEED
For the sponge
4 eggs (whites & yolks separated)
100g caster sugar for the egg whites
70g caster sugar for the egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
70g plain flour
40g cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
FOR THE FILLING
300g frozen raspberries
3 medium bananas (peeled, chopped into chunks and frozen)
Scoop of vanilla ice cream
Swiss roll tin roughly 24cm x 36cm
Butter for greasing
Electric hand mixer or hand whisk
3 mixing bowls
For the sponge
1. Preheat the oven to 180’C. Butter and line a Swiss roll tin with baking parchment.
2. In the first bowl whisk the egg whites to form soft peaks. Slowly whisk in the 100g sugar to form stiff peaks.
3. In the second bowl whisk the egg yolks for 3 minutes until pale and fluffy. Add the 70g sugar and vanilla and whisk for 2 minutes.
4. Sieve all of the dry ingredients together in the third bowl then bit by bit alternate adding a spoonful of the dry mix and splosh of water to the egg yolks, whisking in each time.
5. When all the dry mix and water is combined with the yolks then fold in the egg whites.
6. Spoon into the lined tin and bake for 12-15 minutes until springy on the top.
7. While it’s baking lay out a sheet of fresh baking parchment, and as soon as the cake is cooked turn it out onto the parchment, remove the baked on parchment paper and carefully roll up into the fresh parchment paper. Leave rolled up to cool completely.
8. For the filling take the raspberries and banana out of the freezer and stand for 10 minutes, then place them up in the food processor and pulse until they resemble ice-cream. This takes a little patience but is worth the wait.
9. Carefully unroll the sponge, cover with the ice cream leaving a 4cm gap at the top end and roll up again, this time removing the paper. The filling will splurge out from every angle but don’t panic.
10. Cover with parchment, then tin foil, and freeze for at least 3hrs or until required. Remove from the freezer 10 minutes before serving in super swirly slices!